Thursday, May 31, 2012

Welcome To The Jungle


Welcome To The Jungle
I had a light bulb moment today where the white picket fence in the suburbs with all it's cookie cutter glory and terrifying monotony sounded, well... appealing.  I was strolling my toddler through Union Square in NYC and within two minutes I was encountered by a shady nanny soliciting potential business from me like a dirty drug deal followed by a strange man wearing a neon skirt(OK, neon is on trend,  good for him!) who started talking to my kin about the "bubbles "( possible urination bubbles, I guess? We will never know). Nevertheless, they were "bubbles" he made in the fountain.  Hmmm,  NOT OK. Nope, I was completely shaded out and bolted sprinting with the Bugaboo and my baby down 14th Street.


Say hello to my little friend, NYC
fire hydrant at its scariest
For some reason when the weather gets warmer, the craziness is rampant here & NYC loses a bit of its' glory.  NYC is an official "concrete jungle" during the summertime and is often rather offensive. It's a full 15 degrees warmer than most of the surrounding suburbs and beach towns, dirty water parks and sprinklers that are simply a glorified upgrade to opening up fire hydrants to keep cool open and clueless tourists take over the city, flooding the streets with their international body odor , walking at snail speed pace taking pictures of random buildings no NYC resident ever stopped to notice! It's as if the heat not only frys and frizzes your hair for 3 months,  it sort of frys your brain bringing on crazy thoughts, like, well, a suburb move.  HOW DOES ONE ESCAPE from the insanity?
This is your brain with too much NYC heat
any questions?



With a sudden mirage of my own yard on the brain ( yes, something other than a public park as my backyard) and visions of me driving carpool to Hebrew school ( I can't fully picture it either) I grabbed a Vitamin Zero, cooled off and reeled myself back in. The fact of the matter is the insanity is here all year long and that is what makes NYC so wonderful, so unique and so powerful.  It is the most insane melting pot of people, performances, pizza places and picturesque views. The feeling you get when you drive down the West Side highway and see the polluted Hudson is unparalleled, really.  It sucks you in and sucks your bank account dry yet millions make it work and can't make the move to leave so quickly. It may not be reality here to some, but it's mine right now.

I know the grass is greener, (perhaps), on the other side, but I for one don't think my love affair is quite over yet with New York City and all its' crazies and strange nannies looking for me to give them work. Sooooo...sorry white picket fence, you are just going to have to wait for me. 
Listen, if we are meant to be it's meant to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment