Sunday, April 1, 2012

Taking It All In

Last night wearing my Herve Leger "go to" dress, ( looking like an encased sausage and all) and my YSL nude patent, suede tribute pumps, (5 inches tall, thank you),  that left me with little to no feeling in my feet , I set out for a friend's wedding.  Someone once told me to take it all in, look around the room and take a snapshot in your head of the wedding night. So, I did just that last night, but thankfully I was just a guest this time around and the pressures of a first dance with 250 of my closest friends wasn't my problem! 

After being to so many of these things, you start to know what to expect once the glass has been broken ( Mazel Tov)! and the festivities begin at the cocktail hour. The men run like beasts to find the closest sushi station, the trays of mini hot dogs, and the servings of mini lamb chops floating around the room. The girls take off their shawls to expose what trash they might be wearing underneath their pashminas. I've seen some bad stuff over the years; Extra large sequins falling off dresses, nude pantyhose with open toe sandals ( it's like a dagger to the heart), and hot pink or red lipstick that should only be worn when your teeth are very white and you are capable of applying the lipstick without it smeared across your teeth- PET PEEVE!  The bride and groom make their rounds prowling for envelopes of cash and checks made out to the new " Mr and Mrs" while the brides shady Uncle Jack plays air guitar and 20, some odd 30 somethings are taking lemon drop shots by the bar . The horah starts and one family member INEVITABLY falls off their chair during the dance as a videographer pushes all patrons aside to make sure he doesn't miss the moment. The band sings karoke with their versions of "Billie Jean" and "Sweet Caroline" , the best man makes a drunken hilarious toast or a TERRIBLY boring one, the cake is cut , hugs and kisses to the guests and the night is done. 

I feel like after 50-75 of these I could attend, enjoy and get home all with my eyes shut. Yet, it always entails a great time. Weddings are an excuse to be kid free, party and celebrate with friends who you never get to see on Michigan football Saturdays anymore, squeeze into that Herve dress you have been eating carrot sticks for all week, and to take the time to "take it in" and create your own snapshots .  And while I gorged myself with alcohol and food for five hours straight, I wouldn't give any of the extra calories back because these are the moments that count, that we remember and that we toast , L'Chaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment